nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] terminal not fully restored when backgrounding/foregrou

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] terminal not fully restored when backgrounding/foregrounding
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:05:52 -0400

Mike Frysinger wrote:

<snip>

> hmm, doesnt work with nested nano's :)
>
> ls /
> nano
> ctrl+z
> ps aux
> nano
> ctrl+x
> fg
> ctrl+x

Hmmm.  Unfortunately, due to the way suspension is handled (remaining in
curses mode while resetting the terminal via termios, and setting the
terminal back afterwards), there isn't much I can do about nested nanos. In any case, Pico acts the same way (since it stays in termcap/termios
mode while resetting the terminal, as far as I can tell) in all but one
instance: it doesn't clear itself from the screen properly when exiting,
so if you follow the above steps with Pico instead of nano, you'll end
up in the middle of Pico's output instead of the terminal's output. This difference seems to be a bug in Pico, and I'm not sure how to
implement it even if I were inclined to reproduce it in nano.