nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Doc translations with po4a

From: Mario Blättermann
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Doc translations with po4a
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 08:00:23 +0200

Am 31.07.2014 21:26, schrieb Benno Schulenberg:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014, at 01:26, Jordi Mallach wrote:
>> See the base-passwd source package in Debian.
>
> https://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/base-passwd
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/base-passwd/base-passwd_3.5.28.tar.gz
>
> Well... it contains a Makefile.in, which is still quite easy and
> comprehensible,
> not any Makefile.am, so it doesn't seem to use Autotools.  Also, it uses a
> fixed
> list of languages instead of just grabbing the files that are there.  And
> three,
> for the install target it doesn't respect the LINGUAS environment variable.

As already discussed, we shouldn't maintain any po files in Git, just fetch them
 using rsync once the tarball gets created. In this case, a static language list
wouldn't be that nice. You had always to look first which languages are present,
then edit the language list and finally get the translations from TP. Actually
we don't need such a list. As long as "make" behaves similar to my script, we
shouldn't bother with a list.

Important: Although not visible in Git, the po files *must* be shipped with the
tarball. In some distributions (at least RedHat and all its derivatives
including Fedora) it is impossible to fetch external files while building the
package at the build servers, so it would be also impossible to build the
translated docs.

Best Regards,
Mario