Re: [Nmh-workers] RFC 5322 group support

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] RFC 5322 group support
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:31:23 -0500

Ken wrote:

> For those of you that don't spend too much time looking at RFC 822/2822/5322,

Also RFC 6854.  It just allows group support in some header
fields that 5322 doesn't.  I bring it up because it was
proposed in March 2013, so apparently there's still interest
in developing group support.  (I don't bring it up because
I think it's a good idea.)

> email headers have what is known as "group" support.  Specifically, you
> can do something like this:
>
> To: groupname: a, b, c;

nmh handles this the same way, if there's no need for the
trailing semicolon:

  To: groupname: a, b, c

After seeing your later messages, maybe that's a surprise.
I don't know if there's a way for nmh to put a non-blind group
in a message.

I vote for just updating the documentation.  Because the
trailing semicolon isn't required, maybe we shouldn't call
it group support, just blind list?  And maybe that would
avoid Ralph's objection?

Also, this might be related to the way I fixed part of this bug:

  http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?15604

which reported that the last member of a blind list in an MH
alias file wasn't expanded.  The fix was to remove the
trailing semicolon from the documentation.  Now I can guess
where it came from.  I don't see a need to revisit that
because this is for the alias file, not in the draft.  So
there's not an issue with non-related addresses following
the alias on a line.

David