Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 22:48:06 -0500

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> Wrote on July 21,
> Technically ... this is not valid.  It should be either sendmail/smtp
> or sendmail/pipe (just "sendmail" is an alias to sendmail/smtp).

> So I think something fundamental is going wrong (like you indented that
> entry, or what you think mts.conf is, it's really not).
>
> Or maybe this is the universe's way of telling you that you REALLY should
> be using the smtp MTS :-).  But seriously, even though I think the SMTP
> MTS is a better choice for nearly all users, it should be straightforward
> to make this work so we would like to understand what is going wrong.

        First, you were correct. smtp is the way to go in this
situation.

        After reading lots of documentation regarding exim4 which
is the default mail transport agent on many Linux distributions,
I realized that smtp was the right fit for this job. One doesn't
have to change much of anything in nmh except to make sure that
mts.conf is set to use smtp.

        I got most of the configuration right from reading the
exim4 documentation. The changes one must make are rather few in
that one must modify a line in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and add a
line that reads

protocol=smtps

in /etc/exim4/conf.d/ 30_exim4-config_remote_smtp_smarthost

Repeat the package configuration process after making the mods
and voila, it works.

        It only took a month to mix the information from reading
exim and nmh documentation, more documentation from exim4 and a
couple of pointers from helpful folks to finally make it work.

It is so nice to once again just be able to type  send  then
Enter and have it work.

Martin McCormick