Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:16:30 -0400

>       Once I figured out that I needed the smtp MTS, it was
>probably a couple of hours and I was already tired. The month was
>an intermittent project of trying to figure out how to make
>exim4's version of sendmail do what it is not designed to do.

I ... do not think we're talking about the same thing?  In nmh's termology,
the smtp MTS is speaking directly to a SMTP server.  A local version of
exim4 wouldn't be involved.  This would involve configuration settings
like this:

send: -server some.smarthost.com -port submission -user address@hidden

It sounds like you're using the "sendmail/smtp" MTS, which runs whatever
you are using as a local copy of sendmail but speaks SMTP to it (generally
by using the -bs flag).  This is distinct from "sendmail/pipe" (the old
undocumented spost), which runs your sendmail with the -t flag and just
outputs the message via a pipe to the sendmail program.

I hope this all is clearer than mud :-/

--Ken