Re: [nmh-workers] Need help with sending mail

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] Need help with sending mail
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 10:37:33 -0400

Ralph wrote:

> I don't think whom(1)'s entry is ignored?

You're right.

The only programs that don't read the profile are install-mh(1), post(8),
slocal(1), and mhmail(1):

    $ grep 'nmh_init.*false[^)]' uip/*.c
    uip/install-mh.c:    if (nmh_init(argv[0], false, false)) { return 1; }
    uip/post.c:    if (nmh_init(argv[0], false, false)) { return 1; }
    uip/slocal.c:    if (nmh_init(argv[0], false, false)) { return 1; }

If the second argument to nmh_init() is false, the context and
profile are not read.  mhmail doesn't show up here because it
doesn't have a uip/mhmail.c.

> Perhaps that should mention programs that don't read their .mh_profile
> entry?  Or say how to check if a program does using the program's own
> man page?
>
> My fallible manual scan of man pages suggests these have `None' or
> similar under the `PROFILE COMPONENTS' section.
>
>     ap
>     dp
>     fmttest
>     mh-mkstemp
>     msgchk
>     post
>
> These pages don't have a `PROFILE COMPONENTS' section.
>
>     mhical
>     mhmail
>     mhn (deprecated)
>     rcvdist
>     rcvpack
>     rcvtty
>     slocal

I'm all for updating the man pages, but don't have the time now.  I
will add a PROFILE COMPONENTS section to the mhmail page and correct
its CONTEXT section.

David