nuxeo-localizer

Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Message Catalog, user interface

From: Juan David Ibáñez Palomar
Subject: Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Message Catalog, user interface
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:39:52 +0200

Luistxo Fernandez wrote:

* The problem

The web interface (management screens) provided by the MessageCatalog
meta type to manage messages and their translations is not able to
correctly deal with multiline messages.

* The solution

A new interface. Attached is an HTML draft.

The basic idea (inspired in graphical PO editors like KBabel) is to
show only one message at a time, and only one target language, text
areas are used for this. Clicking on the language link would be
possible to switch between target languages.

At the right side there would be a navigation system to browse the
messages. It would include a seacrh form (like now).

I have 200 msgs. I perform a search or filter with e* and get just 20. Then I
begin editing those one by one, and I work just on the filtered 20... Do I
understand correctly?

Yes.

Actually, I guess it will be more common to search all the
untranslated messages. A feature that's not available currently.

At the bottom there would be buttons to save the changes and to delete
the current message.

The need to save each message before you switch language or go to the next
message is boring. How about...

Save this and go to: english SPANISH french

Save this and go: << (back) (forward) >>

You would also need a Cancel button, which would restore the unedited msg in
case you have doubts about the translation you have typed...

Just personal thoughts...

It looks too much comeplex, for both the user and me (I've to implement
it ;-)

Of course the experienced user could take advantage of that. But I'm
more to keep it simple. Even graphical tools like KBabel don't provide
these features.

The form to add new messages would be removed, does anybody find it
useful??

seldom, but in those few occasions it has been useful for me.

Oh! I've never used it, do you remember an example??
Somebody else finds this useful??

--
J. David Ibáñez, Nuxeo.com
Debian user (http://www.debian.org)