Re: Graphical octave frontend

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Graphical octave frontend
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:07:27 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 11-Mar-2003, Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> wrote:

| Ulrich Kuettler wrote:
| | >To me it's really amazing how well octave fits, how easy it is to
| >use it. The only difficulty I see now is the file config.h as there
| >is a file of the same name inside koffice. And would it be possible
| >to add "--cflags" and "--libs" options to octave-config? This would
| >make the build process a lot easier.
| | Do you mean: | | CFLAGS=... LIBS=... ./configure | | Or do you mean: | | mkoctfile -p CFLAGS
|     mkoctfile -p LIBS

No, I think he means the octave-config script that we generate.  The
intent is for it to be used by people who want to find out things
about Octave's configuration.  But currently it can only tell a few
things.

He is trying to compile and link a standalone app
against liboctave/liboctinterp.  That's what mkoctfile
is for.  If he doesn't want to use mkoctfile, then he
can query mkoctfile for the compiler flags that it
would use.  octave-config doesn't need to be extended
to handle this.

For the rest, one can always do as I'm doing in the
most recent octave-forge:

 dnl grab canonical_host_type from octave
canonical_host_type=`echo "disp(octave_config_info('canonical_host_type'))"\
    | $OCTAVE -q`

This won't support cross-compiling an octave-extension
though.  For that, I guess you need to dump all these
flags into octave-config.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden