Re: How to break out of a computation?

From: Sebastien Loisel
Subject: Re: How to break out of a computation?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:26:13 +0100

I would be willing to fix Octave to have an octave_stderr stream and
use that internally, similar to the octave_stdout stream that we use
now.  Would that help?

I think that would solve the problem 100%, the only reason I wasn't proposing it is because it's probably a bigger patch (even though most of it will boil down to s/cerr/octave_stderr/). Meanwhile, to ensure that Octave Workshop continues to work with old versions, I can #ifdef to either grab cerr or octave_stderr.

Also, ideas like trying to grab the file descriptor seem a bit
questionable to me.  That seems to depend on the current

I also don't think it's a good idea.

BTW, does the Windows implementation of std::cout mean that if you do
something like

  function_from_dll_one ("some output");
  function_from_dll_two ("some other output");

in which these functions both write to std::cout, but they are defined
in separate DLLs, that the order of output is not defined?  I'm

No idea.

Cheers,

Sébastien Loisel