Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:14:18 -0400

On Mar 20, 2009, at 5:20 AM, Arseniy Lartsev wrote:

On Friday 20 March 2009 10:06:19 Shai Ayal wrote:

I think the best way would be to build upon the existing projects,
both for an IDE and graphics.
It's a good point. I'll appreciate any help in deciding what projects I should
base upon.

I've found two IDEs, QtOctave and octave-workshop, which implement two
different approaches: first one runs octave as separate process, second one embeds it. I'm still not sure which approach is better but I never meant to
write my on IDE from scratch.

As for plotting engine, I did not find any existing projects that were
implemented as graphic backends. AFAIR octplot provides complete replacement for entire graphics system (own implementatin of functions like figure, plot, ...). It was a year ago, that time I started writing my own backend but did not complete it, did not even release it. Hovewer, most 2d and 3d plots work
pretty well.

So, what I planned to do is the following:
1) Take one of those IDEs, bring it to working and usable state
2) Resume my old project (or some other project, I'd like to know if there are
any), see what's missing and implement it.
3) Integrate plotting backend into IDE. It shouldn't be difficult if
everything is Qt based.

I think it's possible to complete it in three monts.

Arseniy

There is also OctaveDE (which I haven't worked on much lately, but is in a semi-usable state). Also, a while back Michael Goffioul gave me a bit of code to work on a GTK version of the OpenGL backend and I have extended and modified it to use GTKMM. I have been meaning to integrate the backend with OctaveDE for the past 6-8 months, but just haven't had (or made) time.

I think the only advantage that OctaveDE has over the other IDEs at this point is that it is "tightly integrated" with Octave because Octave is simply running inside of a VTE terminal widget in the same process.

John Swensen