Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] mkoctfile not installed in Wheezy

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] mkoctfile not installed in Wheezy
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 09:50:33 -0700

moving to maintainers

On 12/1/12 9:20 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2012, at 10:18 AM, c. wrote:
>
>> On 1 Dec 2012, at 16:07, Ben Abbott wrote:
>>
>>> My understanding is that if files need to be compiled, then it is a dev
>>> thing.  Because include files and development tools are required?
>> So, do you think only packages that are m-files only should be installed via
>> pkg.m?
>
> No.  Just that package managers often treat mkoctfile as a developer's tool.
> I don't think that implies we should necessarily treat pkg.m in the same
> manner.

I did, at any rate, because I figured that mkoctfile wasn't needed for
anything but package installs.

I support multiple Octave versions concurrently to avoid forcing users
to rebuild their OF packages on every minor version update.  The
libraries, runtime executables, m-files and oct-files of the different
versions all coexist.  The -dev packages, which include mkoctfile,
don't, and this makes it possible for users (or me) to target a
particular Octave version to build against.

How about just a note that says "Different distributions may split
Octave's files up into different packages to suit their requirements.
Consult your Octave provider first if you have any questions."?  That
way you don't need to worry about special cases.

<snip>
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison