Re: Keeping the gui-release branch open considered harmful

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Keeping the gui-release branch open considered harmful
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:07:07 -0600

On 01/30/2015 02:45 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 01/30/2015 12:51 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
On 01/30/2015 11:15 AM, Rik wrote:
On 01/30/2015 08:13 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Re: Keeping the gui-release branch open considered harmful

[snip]

But the original comment still stands. If someone is willing to merge
the two branches and everyone feels that classdef and the new audio
system are ready for release then I won't stand in the way.

What is the history of classdef? It looks to me that it was a separate
branch and then merged and truncated in December 2013. After that,
there is only sporadic activity related to classdef and it is in default
branch.

It's been around a while. Is it that GUI code the first major use of
classdef?

No, the GUI doesn't use classdef (yet).

Octave core does use classdef to provide the inputParser function, so we
can't just disable it.

OK, well if making a release means an inordinate amount of re(de)construction, I'd say go with the other option of merging and then everyone search for bugs over the course of a couple weeks.

Windows development: Maybe a separate branch for that, say, "windows-install" branch (the GUI might have some odd cases where it is Windows specific dependent). There are a couple reasons. It would keep Windows related items off of the stable/default branch until it is ready. Someone working on the Windows install wouldn't have to always be updating their Mercurial repository with the latest code.

One thing that could be done with versioning is to associate the minor version (i.e., second number) only with the stable/default branch. And then minor-minor versions would be variants of different branches. It's hard to describe, but I've drawn a little picture of a hypothetical example. Is it possible to merge things in such a way as shown in the picture? With such a setup there is an issue with the minor-minor number correlating with exactly might be contained in the release. A solution to that might be to use a version with a hyphenated branch name, e.g., 4.0.1-windows. Advancing the minor number, e.g., from 4.0.x to 4.1.x would inherently trigger several minor-minor releases, but if the merging is conflict free it wouldn't be such a problem.

Dan