Re: Octave 5.0 Release

From: CROZIER Richard
Subject: Re: Octave 5.0 Release
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 16:49:44 +0000

>  4. Identify Bugs which *must* be fixed prior to release
>       * Review bugs on tracker for possible inclusion in list
>       * Review bugs and update to correct category, such as Patch submitted
>
>         Completion Date:

It would be nice if some of the outstanding classdef and package related
bugs could be fixed for 5.0. These are core language features that have
now been present in Octave for a full release cycle. For example I'm
thinking of:

#53906 Cannot make an object array with square brackets

#53844: handle class: delete destructor method cannot access class
properties

#54800: Class method invocation errors

#53614: classdef properties() function not implemented

#53907 Octave does not pick up new files in +package directories after
initial load

#53900 which does not work for functions in packages (+package directories)

#46849 Shadowing warning on every command for function in +package
directory

#46659 classdef: cannot create handles to functions in +package

#45404 Breakpoints cannot be set in classdef methods or +package
function files

plus others.

However, if I had to pick one, I would go for #46849 Shadowing warning,
which is one which looks very embarrassing when I introduce people to
Octave, and is probably relatively easy to fix.

Regards,

Richard

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with
registration number SC005336.