Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR vs Raw images

From: Chris Cox
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR vs Raw images
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:20:06 -0800

At 11:19 PM +0900 12/22/03, nkb wrote:
Hi.
I've a simple question.
Does storing my images in OpenEXR present any advantages over storing my images as Raw images (such as the CRW format from Canon digtial camera)?

If the original image was a single CRW, and the software you want to use it with can read CRW -- then no, there is no advantage converting to EXR.

If you have combined several images into an HDR image - then you should store it in EXR or another HDR format (and CRW is not really a HDR format, even if it has a little headroom).

If you are saving manipulated files, then you can't save to CRW, and need another format.

Chris