[Openexr-devel] Long Names for Channels and Attributes

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Long Names for Channels and Attributes
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:39:08 -0800

I am looking into allowing longer names for OpenEXR channels and header
attributes.  The current maximum is 31 characters plus a terminating
null byte.

Rather than allowing names of unlimited length, I intend to increase
the maximum length, because it is easier to do as well as more efficient.
I think 255 characters plus a null byte should be plenty; even a channel
name like

background_velociraptor.small_background.skin_belly.light_112_fill_from_upper_left.diffuse_pass.version_3.R

is only 107 characters long.
Objections?

Florian