openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] openEXR Microsoft Visual Studio .Net 2002 Support

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] openEXR Microsoft Visual Studio .Net 2002 Support
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 01:25:30 -0800 (PST)

Hey Kevin,

OpenEXR 1.1.0 is a development build, so it still has some bugs.  We know
about the problem with the Photoshop 1.1.0 binary, and we're gonna fix
this for the upcoming 1.1.1 release.  I'd hoped to have 1.1.1 released by
now, but we're having a few problems with OS X and Win32 builds at the
moment.  I expect to have these fixed in the next few days.

For now, I suggest you download the 1.0.7 Photoshop binary plugin and get
started with that.  The only major difference is that 1.0.7 doesn't read
or write tiled files, but that's OK, because there aren't any tiled
OpenEXR files out there in the wild yet anyway.

As for .NET 2002... it's just not gonna compile OpenEXR without the Intel
C++ compiler for .NET 2002.  Sorry for the bad news.  The problem is that
Microsoft's C++ compiler didn't conform closely enough to the ISO C++
standard until their latest .NET 2003 release.  So if you want to use
OpenEXR code in your own projects on Windows, you've got a couple of
choices:

1. use the Intel C++ compiler for .NET 2002.
2. upgrade to .NET 2003.
3. use the C interface and the IlmImf DLL instead of the full C++
   interface.  You'll only have access to RGBA files, but maybe that'll be
   sufficient for your needs.  We used to have a pre-compiled
   version of this DLL for 1.0.7, but lost it when our project hosting
   site was compromised.  I'll try to regenerate one, though I think my
   Intel C++ compiler license may have expired.  Anyway, I'm sure we can hook
   you up with this one way or another.

If all you need to do is use the Photoshop plugin, grab the 1.0.7 binary
plugin and wait for OpenEXR 1.2 to be released in about a month, then grab
the 1.2 binary plugin.

-dwh-