openvortex-dev

[Openvortex-dev] Au8830 openvortex drivers on 2.6.x kernels

From: Kevin Alm
Subject: [Openvortex-dev] Au8830 openvortex drivers on 2.6.x kernels
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:38:56 -0600

Hello All,

I have been trying unsuccessfully for several days to get the openvortex
driver to work with first 2.6.1 and then 2.6.2. I am using alsa-lib-1.0.1,
alsa-util-1.0.1 and alsa-driver-1.0.1, trying in turn each of the three
patces on mjander's site.

The modules conpile without error and can be loaded manually with no errors or
warns, (via modprobe). Also, modprobe.conf seems to be in order, as the
modules will autoload on demand, for example by trying to play an mp3 with
mpg123. However, nothing will play. "Can't open /dev/dsp". I have checked the
perms and being root makes no difference. Alsactl and alsamixer give errors
of "no cards found" or "card not found". Asound won't start. Same error.
Alsaconf gives "no cards found". Looking in /proc/asound there is no
reference anywhere of an au8830 card. Or any sound card, for that matter. The
really strange thing is that I still have 2.4.23 on this partition and sound
works fine (using the alsa-driver-1.0.0-rc2 modules). So asound.state and
modules.conf should be ok, as should modprobe.conf which I created with the
module-init-utils conversion script.

I'm stumped. I'm almost beginning to think It's a problem with the kernel. The
only thing that might be considered unusual about my system is that the
soundcard shares an interrupt with a modem card, and that has never been a
problem until now. All ideas and opinions very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Alm