pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Saving articles

From: Christophe Lambin
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Saving articles
Date: 07 Apr 2002 10:08:29 +0200

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 03:52, Haines Brown wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, but I fear there's more to it than this.
>
> For example, if I enter "Save Attachments Only," no dialog pops up at
> all. Is this because I'm trying it on message without attachments?

No, that's the way it's supposed to work: 'save attachments only' just
saves the attachments of the selected articles to the default location.

> Since there is an option to save attachments, to see the Save
> Attachments dialog pop up when you try to save a message is at best
> disconcerting. I assume this is what you meant.

No, what I mean was: Ctrl-S opens the 'Save Articles As' dialog,
allowing you to save the articles and/or the attachments. Just the title
of that dialog was wrong.

> I realized that "Don't Save Article Text" was not a good way to save
> an an article text, and so have been selecting instead "Use Subject"
> on the assumption that the file name would be the string found on the
> Subject: line.

It would have been nice if you had stated that up front.

> That did not work, however. I also tried "Use Custom
> Filename," and that did not work either. That is, no file showed up
> with that custom name in the directory specified in the "Location"
> field near the top of the dialog.

OK, some there's a problem somewhere. Try looking in the log (View ->
Log Viewer ..., or the right-most icon at the bottom of Pan's window).
Also, try launching Pan from a console. Do you see any error messages on
the console when saving articles ?

> I also tried "add to front of queue" (not sure what queue is being
> talked about), but that didn't help either.

The 'queue' refers to the Task Manager (View -> Task Manafer ...). This
is mainly important when you're also downloading a lot of attachments:
you can add it to the front of the queue, so you don't have to wait for
all the downloads to complete before the article gets saved.

Regards,
Christophe