pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Statistical word analysis?

From: Aristotle
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Statistical word analysis?
Date: 12 Apr 2002 23:53:44 +0930

James,

I think that is totally fair.  I was flamed in a bad way once time on a
local Linux discussion group regarding downloads of ADSL providers (some
worked for and ran one and other ISPs so they were quite defensive).  I
suggested that unless it is unmetred - it's defeats the purpose and then
all hell broke loose about greedy leechers vs stingy ISPs etc.

I think we all settled on a tentative agreement about the fairness of
unmetred local access - such as internal game network (non Internet
connected) and news servers (drool).

I agree that the whole Internet V4 (?) protocol is just totally
insufficient for common demands (NTP is a unrelated protocol - I don't
know how it contributes to net congestion - I have heard it does in a
big way though).  I think IP6 is meant to address this by allowing
broadcasting of common data (ie - multimedia) and other improvements.

People should then discouraged from cutting sick on the Net - but I mean
REALLY cutting sick.  If I can't listen to audio and watch video I am
not interested.  My idea of cutting sick is say when it is used for more
than a reasonable amount of high bandwidth applications simultaneously
or excessively shared. One person should be allowed to do all they need
or want to do - I think that is reasonable.

Or if I ran my own news server (ha ha) - that would really blow the
link.

I think broadband, datacasting, digital TV is all in a state of flux at
the moment.  Most ISPs compete on plan configuration rather than actual
price - the world over?  But governments and corporations (read:
Micro$oft) are pushing for broadband in the consumer market.

I find that so ironic - Micro$oft lobby governments so that we can all
use their products and spend more money - and I use the benefits of
their efforts and subsidisation to download linux distributions. Ha ha.

Probably the first time ever that I would consider sending a Thank You
letter to Uncle Bill ;-)