pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Commercial news servers

From: James Hawtin
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] [OT] Commercial news servers
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:53:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Chris Petersen wrote:

> Then again, if you're lazy and cheap like I am, you can stick with what
> your ISP provides (if it's through a decent service)..  Mine uses
> supernews, which limits me to two 16k/s connections.  However, I did the
> math, and that's right around 74 gigs per month.   I may have to wait a
> little longer for large binaries, but at least I can grab whatever I want
> (sometimes twice when I do something stupid like "rm * somedirectory"
> instead of "cp * somedirectory" - which I've done more than once).

I must admit I use easynews as well, i have for the last year or so and
they ROCK for a pay service, there web interface is really cool, you can
queue up pre-extracted binaries into up to 6 virtual zip files all of
which can be up to 800 meg in size, then download them with wget. Its odd
every time I use this it seems I get so much more for my money. Plus the
web interface has a 50 day retention, and there nttp is arround 14 days.
Normally I use my local server and fill missing segments from easynews
which has a very good completion ratio. Plus of course it does not put my
IP address in when i post anything which is great in my book, being ion a
semistatic IP. I use  easynews to post everything be it to text groups or
binary.

I have aways found supernews has a poor retention time, and not a
wonderful completion ratio, but hay I wish I got access to it for free!

Ob trying to get back on a pan topic.

I wish pan could have a "posting" server setup, as well as being able to
pull from multiple servers automatically.

James