pan-users

[Pan-users] Resuming tasks when restarting Pan, brag, xml, and Colin Ler

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] Resuming tasks when restarting Pan, brag, xml, and Colin Leroy
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 11:24:35 -0700

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:13:00PM +0200, Michael Heitz wrote:

> Sometimes i would like to interrupt the downloads, and download them the next
> day or a few hours later - espacially when connection speed is low.
>
> But when i close PAN all files where removed from the download-task-manager.
> So it would be nice, if PAN reminds my files i marked for retrival and saves
> the list of tasks to finish for the next start.

Colin Leroy is working on getting tasks XMLized for storage and retrieval
using libxml2 in Pan 0.12.0 (though I haven't spoken to him about it in a
couple of days, so I don't know what the status is).

Once tasks can be saved in an XML file, then they can be resumed when you
restart Pan.  Moreover, we could also make Pan process the file in a gui-less,
cronable mode like brag or slrnpull.  The gui code is already decoupled from
Pan's guts, so this very doable.

If we define the XML file well enough, one could even use an XML editor to
build custom task files...

cheers,
Charles