pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.92 nit picks

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 0.11.92 nit picks
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 06:23:15 -0700

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 10:11:30PM -0600, Thomas Gamble wrote:

> > > It's news to me.  a bugzilla report & stack trace would be great.
> >
> > This sounds like the error I've been getting - the SIGPIPE one.
>
> I'm not sure what's causing it and it doesn't seem repeatable but is
> intermittant.  I haven't done a stack trace yet.  I was hoping to find a
> reliable way to repeat the crash.
>
> This is the error I get when running from the command line:
>
> The program 'pan' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length
> erro'.   (Details: serial 1359211 error_code 16 request_code 75 minor_code 0)
>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

Oh, bother. :)

This is the ``Xlib: async reply!!'' error with a facelift for gtk2.
Thomas, the thing to do is run Pan inside of gdb like this:

        $ gdb pan
        (gdb) break gdk_x_error
        (gdb) run
        crash!
        (gdb) backtrace
        ... backtrace gets printed out -- MAIL THIS IN!

This is a variation on some more detailed instructions at
http://pan.rebelbase.com/bugs/, if you want them.