pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.12.90 crashes when trying to get body for obsolete

From: Alex Jacques
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.12.90 crashes when trying to get body for obsolete header
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:34:20 -0400

On Friday 19 July 2002 11:39 pm, you wrote:
> On Friday 19 July 2002 08:44 am, Charles Kerr wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 08:09:05AM -0400, address@hidden
>
> wrote:

> > > Not specifically but from my experience, and judging from others'
> > > comments here, 0.12.90 is much more unstable (the CVS version, anyway)
> > > than previous one. At this point, the best you can do is:
> > >
> > > - file a bug report (or determine if one already exists)
> > > - Propose a patch to fix it
> > > I'm sure Charles would like the second one better. :-)
> >
> > AFAIK there's not already a bug report, so please file one.
> > For crashes, backtraces and runlogs are great.
> > See http://pan.rebelbase.com/bugs/ for HOWTOs on both of these.
> >
> > Yes, 0.12.90 is full of *lots* of new code.
> > .90 releases are always a little scary for that reason. :)
> >
> > cheers,
> > Charles
>
> Ok, bug #88665 submitted.
> I also sent debug log and backtrace files directly to Charles.
> Thanks for looking into this.
> Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help track it down.

I downloaded and built CVS HEAD on July 21, 2002 (about 13:00 GMT).
The fix does indeed keep Pan from crashing when trying to download the body
for an obsolete header. Don't get the cute little red X to indicate this
though. IMHO this is still worth fixing, but the fix that you provided is the
main improvement (and within 10 hours of the bug report - thanks!).

The business about retaining very old headers may have more to do with my
news server than Pan. For some reason they occasionally retain a very old
header (and the corresponding body), but delete newer bodies. I'm not sure
how NNTP handles this.

Also, by way of praise of 0.12.90, it no longer suffers from the problem that
0.11.3 (last version I used) had, whereby it wouldn't display some JPEG's
(although many image viewers had no problem with them and 'jpeginfo' reported
them as ok). I suspect this has to do with eliminating the dependence on
imlib and doing everything with gdk_pixbuf.