pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] About colors of read and watched messages...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] About colors of read and watched messages...
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:28:42 -0700

On Thu 12 Dec 2002 16:26, Maurizio Colucci posted as excerpted below:
> On Thursday 12 December 2002 19:59, Duncan wrote:
> > > -remove color for watched and use italics + sunglasses icon.
> > >
> > > I'd like to know what others think about it.
> >
> > The problem is then we loose the attachment / no-attachment icon
> > difference.
>
> Sorry, I can't see why.
> Couldn't we have two icons? One for the attachment, another one for
> watched?
>
> Reassuming, we would have:
>
>   1 icon for watched (no icon for unwatched)
>   1 icon for flagged  (no icon for unflagged)
>   1 icon for attachment (no icon for no attachment)
>   color for read-unread (the icon could be abandoned).
>
> with no need for multiple fonts and no drawbacks (as far as I can see).
>
> Could someone please explain to me what's wrong with it?
>
> (This is the exact behavior of Forte Agent, by the way.)

I was beginning to see this is where you were headed with your argument.

The problem is that if you have two icons that don't stomp on each other, you
have to have two columns to show the icons.  Extra columns that aren't used
most of the time waste screen space, which even with my triple 17"-ers is
precious enough I'd rather not do it.

There are currently two icon columns, one for cached/uncached/flagged (for d/l
or save), which is important enough a distinction I'd like to keep it
separate (and one reason I don't use the flagged message function for
anything else), and one for everything else --
read/unread/text/complete-/incomplete-attachment.  Overloading that column
with even MORE icons wouldn't be a good thing, IMO, and creating another
column just for watched/unwatched/(ignored?) isn't such a good idea either,
due to the screenspace it would require, when the color of the subject can be
made to do additional duty without adding a column, and in fact it does it
already, but just doesn't distinguish between read/unread in watched/ignored
(not that read/unread in ignored should be important, anyway, unless someone
chooses to use it for a different type of watched instead of using it as
ignored, which is an interesting possibility).

Thus, I think most of the disconnect to date in the thread has been between
your envisioning an additional column, and others both not wanting that
additional column, and not wanting to overload the current one with yet
ANOTHER set of icons, when message listing color is an info channel that
remains comparitively under-utilized.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin