pan-users

[Pan-users] scoring/filtering suggestions

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: [Pan-users] scoring/filtering suggestions
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 02:52:43 -0600

Here are some suggestions that I would find useful, though apparently they head in a somewhat different direction than you guys have been headed with the new scoring stuff.

1) In the "Edit Filter" dialog I wild like to replace the selector "Article score is at least" with three separate filters, "Article score >=", "Article score <=", and "Article score between". I would also like to be able to specify a number of my choice rather than relying on the five predefined categories.

That much would let me do things like "if score < xyz then mark as read". (I prefer marking as read over hiding or deleting, because showing the post but marking it as read preserves the thread structure.)

2) Then as a second step, move the score-based colorizing dialog from the preferences to the filters. I.e., in addition to triggerable actions such as "watch", "delete", etc., add a "colorize" action and a pop-up to let you specify the desired color.

This scheme would still let you emulate the 5 categories of scoring supported by 0.13.93, but would also allow more complex arrangements for those who wanted it. E.g., you could construct 10 scoring categories if you wanted them, and shade them on a value or chroma scale where you could tell at-a-glance what quality of material you are looking at.

Notice that (1) would still be very useful even if you don't care to implement (2).

Thanks,
--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas