pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan.sendlater oddness.

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan.sendlater oddness.
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:00:54 -0600

On 2003.04.16 01:16, Duncan wrote:

On Tue 15 Apr 2003 23:33, Bobby D. Bryant posted as excerpted below:

> Worked like a charm, thanks.

Cool! I was losing my copy of sent posts (from pan.sent) for some time, due to corruption. Deleting the folder (file at that time, see below) fixed the problem. I wish I had known about that earlier, as it was an easy fix.

> BTW, is it natural for me to have both of these:
>
> % ls -lu .pan/data/folders/pan.sent.mbox
> -rw-rw-r--    1 bdbryant bdbryant  5597753 Apr 14 22:17
> .pan/data/folders/pan.sent.mbox
>
> % ls -lud .pan/data/messages/folders/pan.sent
> drwx------    2 bdbryant bdbryant    69632 Apr 16 00:32
> .pan/data/messages/folders/pan.sent

The mbox format one is old. PAN recently switched to maildir, which is IMO preferable. (The downside is the same as with all schemes that have large numbers of small files -- it wastes space on file systems not designed to pack files. ext2/3 for instance uses 1K blocks, IIRC, meaning a file takes 1k disk space even if it's a single character. Packed filesystems such as
the reiserfs I chose to use don't have this problem.  The upside is
potentially better stability, and less loss of data if one message out of several thousand in the folder is corrupt, as they are individual files. With a folder such as send.later, however, and since you didn't say there was anything there you needed to keep, just deleting the entire dir is easier, so
that's what I said to do.)

IOW, it should be safe to delete the mbox file. It should have been done upon conversion, I think, but perhaps a conversion bug screwed it. Actually, that's what pushed me into investigating the folders, so I could answer as I did your earlier question, but since my mbox was corrupt, the converted maildir was as well, and I was getting PAN crashes because of it, in the first beta after the conversion. Deleting the corruption fixed the crashes, tho I'd been experiencing earlier oddness just as you had been, due to the
earlier corruption that the conversion compounded into a crashing
scenario.

I've peeked a bit, and it looks like there's stuff in the mbox file that's not in the maildir. I'll try opening them both with my mail reader to make sure, and if there are old messages I should be able to move them into the maildir that way.

I haven't tried every version of Pan that has been announced, so perhaps I skipped over the version(s) that did the conversion?

If that all makes sense...  <g>

Near enough...

--
Bobby Bryant