pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Organizing Subscribed Newsgroups

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Organizing Subscribed Newsgroups
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:45:36 -0700

Lenroc posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on Fri, 14
Nov 2003 01:52:19 -0700:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:36:16 -0800, Michael R. McCarrey wrote:
>
>> Is there presently a provision in Pan to organize your subscribed
>> newsgroups in, for lack of a better word, folders?
>
> No, not presently.
>
> However, you can set Pan up to use multiple News Servers, even if they
> have the same address...
>
> So, you could make a few copies of your server, name them "Ham Radio",
> etc., and it would almost be like what you want! ;)
>
> Not quite though...

That's the solution I've always used..  Two additional comments, however..

First, if your news server limits the number of connections allowed, note
that PAN will track by what it sees as the server, so if you have several
logical servers set up as folders, as suggested here, in PAN, you may have
to manually track the number of still active connections you have so PAN
doesn't attempt to create more than the server will allow.  (Or, in some
cases, consider setting each server to fewer connections so you can run
two "folder" servers at once and still be within your connection quota,
tho that won't work so well particularly in bandwidth capped connections
on broadband with binary groups, but..)

Second. PAN may get this type of functionality in the future, along with
a lot of other super-fancy features, all of which depend in some way on
the planned PAN back-end database rewrite to use the SQLite library.
Once the appropriate database backend is in place to handle all the
behind-the-scenes tracking, it will enable a whole host of new fancy
features.  These together will REALLY make PAN a newsreader worthy of the
name "Pimp-Ass Newreader, as there will be little else that even comes
CLOSE, nothing, AFAIK, in open source!  However, that's a big job, and
will certainly introduce it's own set of bugs to work out..

Benjamin Franklin