pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re: Pan basic behavior, dangerous thing(s) overlooked ?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re: Pan basic behavior, dangerous thing(s) overlooked ?
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 09:31:57 -0700

meaty posted <address@hidden>, excerpted below,  on Tue, 18
Nov 2003 10:44:02 -0500:

> The only reason I do it by group is that filtering groups leaves an
> unread message count even when all the group's messages are gone in the
> headers tab. Well I think it is caused by filters anyway.  However if
> you go to the groups tab and select them all, and choose delete groups
> messages, it zeros the unread message count. Maybe the fact that the
> unread count doesn't zero after deleting all headers is the real bug
> that needs fixed ?

Aye.  I have that on occasion as well.  The initial problem in my case is
that of ignored posts.  Thus, setting up a rule that automatically deletes
ignored posts cures the problem in most cases.  The cases where it still
occurs are usually when I add an ignore, meaning it is no longer
displayed, but the delete rule isn't triggered automatically as it is for
newly downloaded messages matching the new ignore.  Thus, I have to
manually trigger the rule, or as you mention, otherwise zero it out
manually.

Still, one could avoid the danger by selecting using the keyboard, the
newsgroups menu, Mark group read, or Delete group's articles, as
appropriate.  If you do it regularly, I'd suggest assigning a hotkey to
the function so you don't have to open the menu.  (However, make it a
multi-key hotkey, so it isn't hit by accident.)

I DO occasionally use the mouse to delete articles from a group in the
group menu, but I only do it one group at a time, and be VERY careful not
to hit the wrong thing.  Since I do it so seldom, I'm unfamiliar enough
with the menu that I HAVE to be careful, so..  Still, I could again use
the keyboard arrows and enter key, once I right clicked to activate the
context menu, to be safer, I guess, if I were to really follow my own
advice.

.. Which doesn't mean I don't think there should be a confirmation for
something that drastic, as I do, but..

Benjamin Franklin