pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)

From: Jim Reiss
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Xandros 3.0 (debian)
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:13:37 -0700 (MST)

> > 2. From the command line execute "apt-get update"
> >
> > 3. From the command line execute "apt-get install pan"
> >
> > After you've installed the package you might want to comment out
> > or remove the line from /etc/apt/sources.list.
>
> I appreciate your trying to help but what you wrote is "greek" to this
> "non-geek".  On the Xandros desktop I don't see any "apt-get update".
Right.  You need to type it as the root user in a command line window.
Like an MS-DOS Command Prompt window on Windows.  The root account can
be thought of as being like the Windows Administrator account.

If you need a graphical package manager look for something like Synaptic
or KPackage, but really the command line is the easiest way to do this
and certainly the easiest to describe.