pan-users

Re: [lists] Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99

From: Graham
Subject: Re: [lists] Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 12:05:54 +0100

On Sun, 28 May 2006 19:03:25 -0400
Darren Albers <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think the package you want is libgmime2.1-dev.  Alternately if my
> packages have been working for you the package for .99 is available at
> http://darrenalbers.com/Pan/  To make it easier for Charles I am going
> to start hosting my packages myself so he can just link them.
> Generally I upload the latest package early on Sundays.
>
> If it does work please let me know so I can note that for other Mepis
> users.

OK Darren, apt-get installed libgmime2.1-dev

Prior to installation I did a dist-upgrade through apt-get, so the
latest packages in my sources.list would be available.  After
installation, I did another dist-upgrade to see if the newly installed
package brought any more changes, which it did not.

I then tried to compile pan 0.99.  I tried to ./configure and it bombed
out with this:

checking for PCRE... yes
checking for GLIB... yes
checking for GMIME... yes
checking for GTK... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0
>= 2.4.0) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-2.0' found

So I went to the Debian packages site to look up gtk+ and found a
number of candidates including libgtk+2.0-dev but this only threw up a
LOT of dependencies which I don't have.

To help you with other Mepis users, I've detailed what I have done, so
that you can see what I'm doing wrong.

As I said before, the .deb of pan 0.98 works like dream.  Could there
be that many dependencies I've got to add to my system before the
source will compile 0.99?

--

Graham