pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Aggregating servers (was Re: choosing news server)

From: K. Haley
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Aggregating servers (was Re: choosing news server)
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 23:54:20 -0600

Jeff Berman wrote:
> --- Brad Rogers <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I use two servers under 0.14 which are, in fact, the
>>
> same
>
>> server, but have different sets of newsgroups.  One
>> set, I read daily, and automatically download
>>
> headers and articles.
>
>> With the other set of groups I d/l headers, and only
>>
> download
>
>> articles of interest.
>>

> You know, I did exactly the same thing with pan 0.14.
> It sounds like an odd habit when you write it out, but
> I like to segregate certain newsgroups into different
> sets.  Since some of those groups are rarely used, I
> like to hide them away from sight.
>
> Brad, I guess a work around might be to write a small
> front end launcher for pan that merely swaps out
> various .pan2 directories for the one containing the
> groups you want to work with.

There is another solution for this thats been mentioned for binaries.
After retrieving overviews pan would automatically check the scores and
download all articles above a certain score.  The original intent was to
have a cron-able pan to retreive multipart binaries from short retention
servers, but it would also solve your problem as well.  Just score all
articles in the groups of interest above the threshold and let pan do
the rest.