pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How to launch web browser under OS X

From: Jeff Berman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How to launch web browser under OS X
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:37:03 -0700 (PDT)

--- Martijn Otto <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am not familiar with Macintosh. However, i heard
> that it was largely
> based on UNIX. In UNIX you would do this with the
> export command:
>
> export

BROWSER="/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari"

> Maybe this will work. Good luck.
>
> 2006/7/25, Jeff Berman:
> > Hey, has anyone running OS X gotten a link in pan
> > open up in a web browser?  I don't have GNOME
> > installed, so I'm trying to use the BROWSER
> > environment variable

Thank you.  I thought that just putting x="blah" was
the same as putting export x="blah".  I did what you
suggested and it sort of worked, in that the Safari
browser opened up but it tried to go to a mangled URL
on my local drive.  It also launched multiple
instances of Safari, which usually isn't possible on a
Mac.  Mac OS has the concept of application bundles,
which presents folders (in this example the Safari.app
folder) as a single application.  I think having pan
go inside the bundle to directly run the Safari
executable isn't a good idea.

However, using what you suggested, I was able to get
it to work!  If you put this:

export BROWSER="open -a Safari"

then it works like a champ.  Ironically, this is
exactly what I used to use in pan 0.14's Application
Preference, so I should have tried that first.  Oops.

Thanks!

Jeff