pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: An issue (can't remove task), and a question (edit scori

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: An issue (can't remove task), and a question (edit scoring rules)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 23:54:01 +0000 (UTC)

Geoff <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun,
07 Jan 2007 20:30:19 +0000:

> The issue is that under both 119 and 120 (the only post 14.2's I have
> run), I see fairly frequent failures to complete requests for new headers.
>  When I open the "Tasks" dialogue I see the relevant jobs running
> ("Getting new headers for .... etc").  If I try to delete those tasks I
> see "Getting new headers etc .. Removing" ... but the removal never
> terminates. I have to close Pan and restart.

This really has to do with the intricacies of the TCP protocol.  I'm on my
way to work so can't explain in my usual depth, but basically, there are
certain rules about terminating a "hung" connection.  If pan disobeys
those rules, it's breaking Internet Protocols.

Depending on exactly where it hung, even closing pan may not be enough.
You may need to reboot -- or the dead things timeout and go away on their
own if you leave them long enough.

> The question is this. Is there any way to edit my scoring rules?

Yes.  The Score file is an ordinary text file, generally compatible with
slrn's file format.  The reference for that is

http://www.slrn.org/docs/score.txt

The file can be found in pan's data dir, ~/.pan2 (for the new version) by
default.

Work time!