pan-users

[Pan-users] very peculiar bug with EasySW news-server (home of CUPS)

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-users] very peculiar bug with EasySW news-server (home of CUPS)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:57:32 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

Been noticing a peculiar thing with EasySW's news-servers (home of
CUPS).

Add 'news.easysw.com' to your Pan server list, get the list of
groups, then subscribe to 'cups.commit'.

Getting all headers shouldn't be too much at all.

Go ahead to mark all headers read.

Now, try getting new headers for that group, and you'll always be
presented with a number (448) even if no new posts have been made.

Go ahead to mark all headers read again, rinse & repeat -- you'll
always see (448) new messages there.

I know EasySW is using their own NNTP software, but I haven't
noticed this glitch with other Mac news-readers (Unison, Thoth,
etc.) that I can remember.

Crazy man...

There's a gmane newsgroup acting in a similar manner, showing (1),
but not always, but when it does happen the next-unread button
always points to a post that's no longer available on gmane, while
that post has already previously been marked 'read' (dim font).
When this happens it _always_ goes to that old post.
It's one of the ffmpeg groups on gmane, I'll have to report which
one when it happens again (Murphy's playing tricks right now)...

But could some of you-all also test the EasySW server, too, to see
if it's a wide problem, please?  I shouldn't think it's just my
Pan build on Darwin/OSX/ppc doing this here.

Thank you.   :)