pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Message Search

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Message Search
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:29:44 +0000 (UTC)

William Scalione <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 10 Apr 2008
12:21:41 -0400:

> I use Pan for my newsgroup program, but sometimes I need to log into
> windows (shudder) if I am looking for something in particular. I use
> News Rover for that and it works great. Do a search for a file and
> apparently it checks a database on the news server and in about 10
> seconds it returns a list of messages with the search string in it. I
> was wondering if there was any other program, or a way for Pan to do the
> same type of thing. It is really a great feature and would be a great
> addition to Pan. Or if that isn't possible, does anyone know of a way to
> access that database using any other program?

I'm not familiar with newsrover, but from your description, it must be
using a server-side database.  Pan doesn't do anything like that yet, and
I know of no Linux apps that do.

However... have you tried running newsrover in WINE?  Again, I don't run
WINE, but I've read great things about how it handles many MSWormOS apps
(including malware, so be careful!).  It might work, or not, but it's
certainly worth a try, if you haven't.  Chances are it works as it's a
third party app that I'd think not too likely to use the obscure and
fancy parts of the MS APIs, but it's possible you'll have to tweak things
a bit.