pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: score a troll

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: score a troll
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:43:06 +0000 (UTC)

thufir <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:57:02
+0000:

> He frequently changes from, organization, reply to and probably some
> other fields.  He looks to keep the complaints-to field, and approved
> field, constant, though.  what's the best way to filter out these
> messages?  I don't want to totally ignore them for now, just give them a
> low score.
>
> score by path?

Pan's scoring is /extremely/ limited; unfortunately it's way too limited
to be really useful against someone deliberately changing their posting
info.  This is probably my top complaint on pan, and has been for a very
long time, since before old-pan got scoring, while it still was simple
filtering, I'd have preferred fixing this to scoring, but not having the
talent necessary to provide a patch and with Charles' priorities
obviously being different...

The problem is that as implemented, pan only scores on the usual
"overview" headers, that is, the headers available before the post is
actually downloaded, which generally amounts to the ones displayed in the
header pane, subject, author, date, references (so proper threading can
be done), message-id, xref (cross-posting), lines and bytes ..., that's
pretty much it.  If the poster is varying all of those, you're SOL.
Organization, x-newsreader, x-trace, path, x-complaints-to, etc, are
unavailable for scoring.

Due to the address munging gmane (Gateway for Mail And NEws, what I use
to read the list) does to anything looking like an email address on this
list, I can't check so very easily, but it's possible you may be able to
figure out an element in the references you can score -- provided you
want to score replies to him as well, or maybe the message-id (tho I'm
not positive you can score on that but I /think/ someone reported that
you can, you'd have to try manually adding it to the the scorefile to
see).

The other alternatives are using another news client (with proper
scoring) for that group, running your own local news server, leafnode or
the like, locally, or just continuing to cope with it manually.

Or, of course, if you have the talent or significant financial resources,
you can either code up a patch, or sponsor someone (Charles maybe) to
code the requisite functionality for you.