pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Helper program bug with latest gtk (windows)

From: drbob
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Helper program bug with latest gtk (windows)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:38:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:53:11 +0000, walt wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:50:42 +0000, drbob wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> With the latest version of gtk+ for windows (2.12.10) installed,
>> clicking on a url or mail address in pan fails to open my web browser
>> or email program - the following error is displayed in the event pane:
>>
>> failed to execute helper program (invalid argument)
>>
>> If I revert to gtk 2.10.14 the error does not occur and helper programs
>> are launched normally.
>>
>> I don't know if this is a by-design change in gtk 2.12 that pan does
>> not support, a bug in gtk, or a bug in pan. Any of those scenarios
>> could explain the error message. Just posting here in the hope it will
>> help anyone else encountering the problem.
>>
>> You can get the current and older builds of gtk for windows from here:
>> http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/
>
> I'm running gtk 2.12.11 on linux and clicking your gtk link works
> correctly for me.  You might try starting pan from a DOS prompt with the
> --debug flag to see if it gives you anything useful.  It would be nice
> to see what the invalid argument actually is.
>
> BTW I'm running pan compiled from the current svn source, so there have
> been a few bug fixes lately that you don't have yet.  Where did you get
> your windows version of pan?

Sorry, I didn't give the full error message (example from clicking the
link in my previous post), is:

Error starting URL: Failed to execute helper program (Invalid Argument)
(Command was: rundll32 url.dll,FileProtocolHandler "http://gtk-
win.sourceforge.net/")

Typing the given rundll32 command in at the command prompt opens a web
browser on the requested page as expected.