pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Feature request

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Feature request
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:59:46 +0000 (UTC)

Derek Turner <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 14 Dec 2008
18:17:23 +0000:

> I'd like an 'ignore all threads started by this author (and mark read)'
> can it be done or would this be a new feature? It's one thing ignoring
> the group's resident troll but people /will/ keep replying to them.
> Also, ignored threads should be marked read by default, if I'm ignoring
> a thread I don't want  it counting in my unread messages total.

The way it works, you can ignore an author (which puts an =-9999 entry in
the scorefile for that author), and once you see a thread, you can mark
that thread ignored (putting an =-9999 entry in the scorefile for
messages with the message-id of the original post in the references
header).

You can't, however, ignore a thread without first seeing at least one
post from it, because pan has no way of knowing what message-id to score
against.  It doesn't actually think about what it scores and can't put
two and two together, as they say.  It can only score on something in the
scorefile that directly matches something in the message.

In theory, it would be possible, but I have a very strong feeling Charles
will mark it as target "bluesky", which pretty much means, "Yes, it'd be
nice, someday... but don't count on it any year soon... unless you
volunteer to code it, that is."  (Charles does take patches!)  Pan simply
has no structure for implementing logic that indirect, so it would be
from scratch, and would need well tested as such entirely new code is
often quite buggy.

As for marking read by default, old-pan had a way to do that called
rules.  However, it was quite complex to setup and we got a lot of
requests for help with it.  Charles decided it was too complex to
implement that way in new-pan, and so far, it (or the related auto-delete
based on score and auto-download based on score) have yet to be
implemented in new-pan, tho the feature is planned.  Take a look at the
archives if you're interested in what we've discussed for the UI,
however.  I posted a message perhaps a week ago with some detailed info
in that regard.

However, Charles tends to work on pan in spurts.  When he released the
rewrite into C++ (starting with 0.90, now at 0.133, and commonly referred
to as new-pan), he had nearly weekly betas for about 16 months.  However,
after that he was understandably rather burnt out, and he took a break.
0.132 was the last of that spurt, release on Aug. 1, 2007.  Since then
there has been very little work done, altho he did release 0.133 exactly
a year later, Aug. 1, this year, rolling up a bunch of patches that had
been submitted to bugzilla to let pan compile with updated gcc and glibc
and fix a security vulnerability in 0.132.  But he has done little except
that bare minimum update in over a year now.  When he'll get back to
actually writing new code, including hopefully the auto-action based on
score stuff, nobody knows.  =:^(  Of course, again, if you have the
coding skills, Charles does encourage patches. =:^)