pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless : EXAMPLE

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: server priority and completeless : EXAMPLE
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:32:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:16:23 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 03/26/2009 Beartooth wrote:
>>     Maybe I don't know what a binary is. All I ever normally do is
>> read text. I avoid images, especially moving images, and sound.
>
> Binaries are non-text files, such as images, sound, movies and
> programs.  In general, anything (except a url) that Pan has to use an
> outside program to display would be considered a binary.  If you're
> limiting yourself (as I do) to text-only groups and Pan is reporting
> incomplete messages, there's either a problem at your news server, or in
> your connection.  Unless you're having other connection difficulties,
> i'd talk to whatever tech support you can get from your news service.

        OK, I'll go look to see if motzarella has any; being free, it may
not.

        News: I just go a fresh example.

        The icon in the list of posts is a plain open envelope. No
colored anything.

        The entry in the event log is this :

Thu Mar 26 13:22:18 2009 - Article "where has all the ammo gone" is
incomplete -- the news server(s) don't have part <gq6epp$rpd
address@hidden>

        That's from rec.guns, via motzarella. I think all these
incompleteness messages have been about posts via motzarella -- I hadn't
seen any in a dog's age, till after I signed up there...

        I just tried again, and still get an incomleteness error. I right-
clicked on the post, then on Read Article; that produced a repeat of the
error message. Tried a third time; same result. No text ever became
visible.

        I'll try to remember to try again later today, or at worst
tomorrow.