pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Better processing of very large groups?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Better processing of very large groups?
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 14:47:51 +0000 (UTC)

Ron Johnson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 03 Jul 2009 09:06:06
-0500:

> Even in the closed-source world, there can be lots of "sub-minor"
> versions out there, especially for stuff like Oracle, which releases
> security upgrades on a regular basis, not to mention supporting many OSs
> on many architectures.  You'd need *lots* of binary diffs, and that's a
> hassle to manage, both from, for example, Oracle's side and from the
> customer's side.
>
> In this day of high-bandwidth pipes, and DVDs-via-FedEx, there really is
> no overriding need for binary diffs.

Reasonable points.  My last experience beyond the trivial doing something
with someone else's computer in the proprietaryware world was... eight
years ago now, getting close to a decade, and in fact it has /been/ about
a decade since I started focusing mostly on FLOSS, and fat(er than
dialup) pipes were rather less common back then, so I'm sure things have
changed a bit since then.