pan-users

Re: Re: [Pan-users] Re: So, what's left before 1.0?

From: Heinrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Re: [Pan-users] Re: So, what's left before 1.0?
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 16:06:33 +0200

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 01:28:19 +0000 (UTC)
Jim Henderson <address@hidden> uttered these words:

> > At the risk of introducing something completely outside the spirit
> > of this update...
> > binaries?
> > Yes - I seem to recall that this was on the roadmap; that's why I > mentioned it. :-) > > Jim

I've been using newspost to do just this, as advised by the Pan
developers.  Newspost is now fully GPL'd, so I could not see why Pan
could not have simply a button to call Newspost (even though it's a
command line application).

I have suggested this many times and was told that the plan was
included in future direction of the Pan code, which we are being told
again, so again I presume my suggestion to call a binary poster by
simply calling newspost from a button on the GUI is being
rejected....again.

------------

as i recall it, newspost never really worked for me, so i gave it up.
i use yencpost now, it's windows stuff but works fine with wine.
newspost crapped out at every timeout from the server (i guess
the socket just died or something) :(
i once took a look at the pan source but couldn't get my head around it
as far as to add that functionality. but in essential the basics are already
there, you are right. but we don't need to invoke a terminal or something,
we can just embed this functionality into pan. the main difference will be
the handling of sockets i think (newspost handles that via low-level read
and write calls), how pan does that: i don't know.
btw: sorry if this message is in the wrong tree, i'm not used to mailing lists
and can't for the sake of it get mailman to work :(