pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Searching for newsgroups

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Searching for newsgroups
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 08:29:07 +0000 (UTC)

David Hatunen posted on Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:39:11 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 01/22/2011 03:12 PM, John Lindsay wrote:
>> David Hatunen wrote:
>>> I give up. How do I search through the big list of newsgroups for
>>> something specific? "energy", say?
>
>> Under the top bar (file -- edit -- view etc) I have another 'bar with
>> icons rather than text. I have two blank area -- the first one has
>> 'Group name' and the second one has 'subject or author'. I put energy
>> in the first box and got some 40+ groups that had energy somewhere in
>> the group name.Hopefully that helps you.
>> John
>
> Doh! So that's what that Group name" box is for.
>
> Sure could use a manual....

It's /supposed/ to be so intuitive you don't need one. =:^)

FWIW, I've been using pan so long (since the gnome-1 version, early 2002,
almost a decade now) I can't rightly say whether I realized what that was
or not, originally, but I do know we don't get as many questions about
that as about some other stuff... say... how to choose what server you
post to when you have several configured.  (Hint, what are you doing...
posting, so what settings might you use... the settings in the posting
profile, of course! =:^) Each group remembers the posting profile used for
it last, and the server to post to is part of the posting profile.  That
was my idea as I thought it was intuitive, and no body had a better idea,
so that's where the setting went, but it's obviously not as intuitive as I
thought it was as we still get questions about it.)