pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Question about "Get Headers"

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Question about "Get Headers"
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:50:35 -0500

On 03/27/2011 02:11 PM, Duncan wrote:
Ron Johnson posted on Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:36:23 -0500 as excerpted:

  Before I waste
hours of time and bandwidth, though, I wanted to ask if "Get the last N
days headers: 180" *AFTER* doing a "Get the last N days headers: 90" is
intelligent enough to only grab the headers from days 91-180?

AFAIK, it is, tho not due to any particular fancy cleverness in pan, but
rather, due simply to the way nntp works (cleverness in the protocol).

What it does is get the post sequence numbers that are available from the
server.  Since it tracks the ones it has already has, it skips them as it
makes its requests.

Well, that didn't work...

From alt.binaries.dvd, I got 30 days of headers, then 60, then 90 but then with 120 days it bombed.

corrupt."