paperclips-discuss

[Paperclips-discuss] Options for host environments

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Paperclips-discuss] Options for host environments
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 02:14:53 +0100

In my discussion with Chris recently I said I'd been thinking about
the way in which Paperclips maps socket handling to servlet contexts.

There are 3 options:

1. continue much as now:
- add a Host class to which you add Service instances keyed by
context-path.
- webappd continues to have all the knowledge of how to setup a
Service

2. intelligent Service
- add a Host class which maps Service instances to context-paths
- have Service handle the webapp logic, providing:
  o decision about what type of document handler (PURLH) to use
  o decision about what type of class loader to use
- webappd continues to do parsing of DDs and binding of servlets and
filters

3. an additional abstraction:
- add a Namespace class which represnts the bindings of servlets and
filters

I am tempted to go for 2 without 3.

Does anyone have any views? Particularly in the light of possible
changes to cope with the addition of a non-blocking webserver?

Nic

PS the more I think about it the more I think a non-blocking
webserver like the one Chris has developed is a non-starter. Such a
server would not be able to take advantage of filters without
compromising it's speed and thread usage. I don't expect to see many
webapps deployed without url-mapped filters.