paragui-users

Re: [paragui-users] new signal system?

From: Sebastien Berthet
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] new signal system?
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:17:49 +0200

> I dont know if it's similar to qt system, but sigc++ doesnt requiere the
ugly
> pass with moc, preprocessing or something like that.

I'm a qt user and using the moc preprocessor is not a critical point in the
development process as it's a smooth operation (it never fails or produces
bad code) and it can be very well integrated in the IDE (in MSVC, it works
very well).

> Sigc++ is all standard C++ (with REALLY heavy use of templates, so you
have to
> use a good/modern c++ compiler). It was created for use in gtk-- (C++ port
of
> gtk+), but it became a separate library later.

the drawback of libsigc++ is on the win32 side :
http://libsigc.sourceforge.net/doc/win32
first, you must install the cygwin package in order to use libsigc.
second, there seems to be a few problems using libsigc "as is" and MSVC
users must use a "modified" distribution ...
finaly, and this is the most important problem up to me : reading libsigc++
code is a pain. I'm ok with C++ templates, but my coding style is not a
"template everywhere" style. I only use them in some cases which I clearly
identify. The reason is the debug of template-based code, which is far
harder than debuging plain "dumb" code.

all the best,
-sebastien