paragui-users

Re: [paragui-users] new signal system?

From: Eric Ross
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] new signal system?
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 12:13:02 -0400

Mensaje citado por Sebastien Berthet <address@hidden>:

> the drawback of libsigc++ is on the win32 side :
> http://libsigc.sourceforge.net/doc/win32
> first, you must install the cygwin package in order to use libsigc.
> second, there seems to be a few problems using libsigc "as is" and MSVC
> users must use a "modified" distribution ...

You dont need cygwin to use it. If you want to use the "original" version yes
you have, and only because g++ is better than msvc working with templates. If
you want to use msvc, then you have to get the "modified" version. Once compiled
and installed, it works fine. Some care must be taken to mantain portability but
if you do it it WILL work.

> finaly, and this is the most important problem up to me : reading libsigc++
> code is a pain. I'm ok with C++ templates, but my coding style is not a
> "template everywhere" style. I only use them in some cases which I clearly
> identify. The reason is the debug of template-based code, which is far
> harder than debuging plain "dumb" code.

I dont think that it's that pain. For example, this code:

// connects a button click to a method :
button.sigButtonClick.connect(slot(wnd, &TestWindow::handle_show_window));

// connects a button click to a function :
buttn.sigButtonClick.connect(slot(handle_click), &data);

It appears clean to me. Maybe be you could show a uglier sample ? :)

Eric