Re: Word too long ??

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Word too long ??
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 00:18:12 +0100

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, yacob sen <yacob_123@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. It is indeed weird. I perhaps have to downgrade
> my ubuntu from 11.10 to 10.10 for my  Gnu parallel to work. I'm using the
> latest version of GNU parallel.

There are (at least) 5 different "latest" versions of GNU Parallel:

* the one that only exists on my laptop
* the latest in GIT
* the latest alpha-release
* the latest (normal) release
* the latest stable release

That is why the man page tells you to ALWAYS include:

* The output of parallel --version. If you are not running the latest
released version you should specify why you believe the problem is not
fixed in that version.

* A complete example that others can run that shows the problem. A
combination of seq, cat, echo, and sleep can reproduce most errors. If
you example requires large files, see if you can use make them by
something like seq 1000000>file.

If you suspect the error is dependent on your distribution, please see
if you can reproduce the error on one of these VirtualBox images:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualboximage/files/ Specifying the
name of your distribution is not enough as you may have installed
software that is not the the VirtualBox images.

If you do not give me enough information to be able to reproduce the
error, I will usually ignore the bug report.