Re: Weird behaviour with magic work dir option

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Weird behaviour with magic work dir option
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:08:21 +0200

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Graeme H <graeme@sudo.ca> wrote:

> Another thing I've noticed is that if I use --basefile, the file ends up in
> the home dir on the remote system, even if a different --workdir is
> specified. Is this intended behaviour, or is this just a bug in the older
> version I'm using?

The idea with basefile is to only transfer it once (per server) as it
could be rather big. I clearly have not thought it through what should
happen if you combine --basefile with --workdir (and especially not
--workdir ...).

Dear mailing list: What would you expect to happen with:

parallel --basefile rel/path/foo.bf -S server1,server2 --wd .
my_program ::: baz quux xyzzy
parallel --basefile rel/path/foo.bf -S server1,server2 --wd ...
my_program ::: baz quux xyzzy
parallel --basefile rel/path/foo.bf -S server1,server2 my_program :::
baz quux xyzzy

parallel --basefile /abs/./path/foo.bf -S server1,server2 --wd .
my_program ::: baz quux xyzzy
parallel --basefile /abs/./path/foo.bf -S server1,server2 --wd ...
my_program ::: baz quux xyzzy
parallel --basefile /abs/./path/foo.bf -S server1,server2 my_program
::: baz quux xyzzy

parallel --basefile /abs/path/foo.bf -S server1,server2 --wd .
my_program ::: baz quux xyzzy
parallel --basefile /abs/path/foo.bf -S server1,server2 --wd ...
my_program ::: baz quux xyzzy
parallel --basefile /abs/path/foo.bf -S server1,server2 my_program :::
baz quux xyzzy

How many times should foo.bf be transferred? To what dir?