RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Linux kernel question, pre 2.6.23 vs later kernel ver

From: Groom, George
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Linux kernel question, pre 2.6.23 vs later kernel versions
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 18:33:16 +0000

Ole,

Unfortunately, it’s not really practical for me to change kernels as you suggest.  My apologies for not being able to test in this manner.

My ask of pre and post CFS (kernel process scheduling changes) you answered. I don't believe you were able to replicate.  I'm good with this answer.  I do, however, remain puzzled how a purportedly more powerful machine (greater cores, threading count) executes a specific parallel script considerably slower than on a machine with substantially less cores and threading.  I was curious if anyone has observed similar behavior and if similar what was identified as a likely cause.

Appreciate your time and especially your parallel utility.  I use it daily. J

Thank you,

George Groom