pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] Re: GNUpdf and other PDF projects

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [pdf-devel] Re: GNUpdf and other PDF projects
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:26:36 +0200

Sylvain Beucler wrote:
>   - Skim: despite being mentioned at pdfreaders.org, it uses a
>     proprietary PDF library called "PDF Kit",

Well, Cocoa is proprietary as well so if one builds a free GNUstep
application on MuckOS X, it links against their FoundationKit and
AppKit.  If Quartz comes by default with that system (I suspect so),
there's no difference (except that Skim can't be ported to GNUstep,
thus it's useless).

>     Do *not* confuse it with old PDFKit/PopplerKit from

Old?  It's not that old, 3 or 4 years maybe.  Maximum 5, if my memory
serves well.

>     based on xpdf and popller respectively.

Only on poppler.  PopplerKit is just tiny Objective-C bindings for
poppler, which Vindaloo (was ViewPDF once; the Debian package is still
viewpdf.app) and GWorkspace's PDF inspector use.

Unmaintained (both PopplerKit and Vindaloo) since at least a year or
two.